Friday, January 16, 2009

FREEZING....

Unbelievable at 7 am this morning the actual temperature was -17 and the windchill has been 20-30 below zero. They say we could break records here. Indiana gets cold but not usually this cold! All of the schools that I have heard about from the middle of the state clear North are closed. Alot of the colleges are still open though. My college freshman called me last night and she is freezing! The whole dorm building is frigid, the school tells them the heat system cant keep up with outside air temp. So the students are having to wear their jackets and gloves in the dorms and stay covered up with blankets to keep warm. Lots of hot chocolate is being drank too! She attends a very large and prominent college in the state and I cant believe they aren't doing anything for these kids. They were told that until the deep freeze breaks they cant do anything about this and it will be the earliest of Saturday before they can even start to look at the problem with the heating system. On top of that the main campus is a good hours walk from the dorms and the buses are so full that some kids are being forced to walk to class in these frigid temps! And the school wont add additional routes to help with the overflow. The college wont close unless the actual temp is neg 25. She tells me that the temp is neg 18 at noon but it never hit the magical neg 25 to shut classes down. I know, I know I am being an overly protective mother but nobody should be out walking around for an hour in those kind of temps. Luckily so far to day she has been able to get on a bus and is only walking from class to class on the main campus .My youngest daughter and I though are staying in all day! I am not a lover of winter and this just makes me want to pack it all up and move to a much warmer location. How about you???

1 comment:

na said...

Well...I did venture out to Wal-mart and a couple of other places early this evening...but I froze doing it!