Thursday, January 29, 2009

Job cleanup???

Who knew being let go from your job was so much work??? I sure didn't . Having been at my job for 13 years I had gained experience in many areas of the banking/financial world and I had even been involved in the on boarding and off boarding of employees, but my experience level stopped at the employee receiving their pink slip and watching them pack up their desks and then being involved in the redistribution of their workload to other employees. I had never been involved with the backside of what all the employee went thru after they had been layed off. OH MY GOSH, dealing with the emotional and financial changes that being layed off brings is one thing, but then to realize there is still so much to do is a little frustrating! Your told that you will be getting info by mail to tell you all of the details of when your insurance coverage ends and info about Cobra continuation, any vacation pay you are still entitled too, if any, what and if and when any retirement assets are allowed to be rolled out, and on and on and on . But they don't tell you how slowly all of this info will trickle into you by mail. Here it is the last week of January and I still didn't have all of the info I was needing so I started making phone calls on Tuesday and after 2 days of playing phone tag with people in countless different depts within HR and being transferred here and there and placed on hold for very long periods of time I finally believe I have all of my info. Other wise I was told they had to the end of the month to get all of this info mailed out! So as of yesterday I find out I only have 3 more days of paid insurance coverage, so that sets off a whole new round of phone calls. ( Had I waited for all of this info to come in the mail , my insurance would have all ready lapsed!) I quickly called my Family Dr and my eye DR to see when any of my family member's were due for check ups or if there was anything we needed to get done before I lost my insurance in 3 days. Unluckily our annual exams arent due with the family doctor for another 4 months and the insurance wont cover them this far ahead of time, if we do it this week ,so we have to wait on those, but my Dr said since I have never had a mammogram yet we might as well get my base line exam done yet this week, since the insurance will pay for it in full. (Fun, I'm sure) And my vision insurance said that they will cover my better half's and I's, eye exams if we get them done yet this week, even though we weren't due for check ups until February, they said it was still within the allowable window. So by good graces our DR s have been willing to work with us and are squeezing us in tomorrow to get these items completed before the insurance runs out on Sunday. So we should be pretty well set for another year before we would have to worry about the expenses of yearly checkups or having to buy new glasses and contacts, so that is a little bit of financial peace of mind. Now lets pray for continued good health. Now we just have to figure out whether we will try to continue on with Cobra coverage , which once I receive the info, I have 60 days to decide about ,but I know Cobra is soooooo expensive and I cant imagine we will be able to afford that since my income is gone. I imagine we will have to look into buying insurance coverage elsewhere or see if one of us gets a job with insurance benefits soon. Health care is so expensive!!!!! Also I got another phone call yesterday from the parking garage where I had to park at work and they wanted to know why I hadn't paid my January bill and they were getting ready to send out the February bill and if I didn't get both months paid ASAP they would suspend my parking privileges!!! WHAAAAATTTTTTT Im not employed there anymore! Turns out my employer forgot to notify the parkign garage that I had been layed off so they had continued to bill me, bills are sent directly to the office so I never realized they were still generating. SO they have noted it in my file and will cancel the Feb billing but the January billing is still debatable, as they held that parking spot open for me and they could have rented it to someone else had they known I wasn't an employee anymore. Can we SCREAM real loud now??? I of course made sure she understood completely that this was thru no fault of my own and I wasn't paying for that parking space when I never used it in January. So now I have to wait for her to call my employer and validate that I was layed off before they can decide to release me from the fee for January! Ughhhh. I will be so glad when all of these loose ends are wrapped up and I can really get on my with my life with out this company. Its been almost a full time job just to keep on top of all of these loose ends and try to get it wrapped up. Also to anyone out there that has been layed off recently, please do not assume that your employer will follow thru and complete all of the items that needs to be done to finish up your employment. And don't wait for the info of your separation from the company to be mailed to you, you may lose valuable time and benefits if you do. Start calling your HR service center right away and get the answers you need and make sure your all of these loose ends get wrapped up, as believe me, your employer probably wont care if things get missed.

3 comments:

na said...

Sorry to hear about all those problems. Luckily when I quit my last job...I just left and didn't have to worry about any of that stuff. Things will get better soon though!

Cricket said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're having to go through all of that...losing a job is never fun, been there...that's wonderful that your doctors are willing to be flexible for you though!

Sending good thoughts your way!! :)

Sinclair said...

Yup, I'm in the same boat. I got a rais in December and an outstanding review, a bonus at Christmas, and was let go on Jan. 2. Insurance runs out this month, and there is none on my horizon. Good luck to you.