Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Scrubbing hard!

Since I completely painted both bathrooms last week and I washed all of the rugs and shower curtains and window curtains in the baths also. I decided to finish up today and make it so the bathrooms were 100% clean from top to bottom. The only thing left was the floors. I have tile floors in both bathrooms and while I love the tiles and the pattern , I hate the color of grout that was used. We bought this house just 3 years ago and we have slowly been remodeling and changing things. The tiles and grout were put in by the previous owners. The tiles are pretty shades of creams,tans and browns and have a rippled texture to make them look like marble or stone. Unfortunately they put in a very ,very light colored grout and it shows dirt quickly! I would have went with a tan color myself. Because the pattern/texture of the tiles is uneven the grout lays lower than the tiles and the dirt settles into the lower areas where the grout is and no matter how much I mop the grout gets stained and dirty over time. The mop flows over the top of the tiles and not down into the grout. I also have teenage daughters that help out with the housework but they don't like to put any more effort than necessary into the job and they wont really scrub the floors when they mop. ( Imagine that!) So every so often I have to get down on my hands and knees and spray the grout down with a bleach solution and scrub the heck out of it with a stiff bristle brush. Not fun!! So while my bathrooms are super clean now, the whole house smells like bleach. yuck!!! As I said before all of this snow and cold weather we have been having has given me the free time to get alot of much needed chores done! What yucky project can I come up with next??

No comments: